Mary Mecca aka @merrmeckuh
"Mary Mecca creates colorful, shamanistic artwork that aims to speak to the natural, indigenous human within us all. Her work seeks to sneak into the mind of the viewer and break down socially-constructed concepts of what life is about and what it means to be human. Viewing her pieces is sure to open channels of consciousness in the mind and allow new waves of thinking to permeate the inner being."
- Creative problem solver.
- Yoga instructor.
- Jill of all trades.
- Adobe Illustrator.
- Boogie boarder.
- Kind, bubbly, and overall fun to be around.
Citizen of the Universe
📍Currently in Santa Cruz, California
I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts with a double emphasis in Drawing & Painting, and Jewelry Design & Metalsmithing, and overall overachieving, from Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas. I was a huge lover of school and assignments, was told by many teachers that I was the most prolific student they had ever had, that my work was MFA quality, and once I even wrote an art history paper that was so fly my professor thought maybe I had purchased it on the internet. I did commissioned art for the Senior Vice President of the University, made the Dean’s List every semester (and was friends with the Dean), did independent studies with both directors there during my time, and excelled and shined in every way that someone named Mary Mecca should.
Since graduating in 2010, I’ve been working for my family’s 3D fabrication business, Mecca Design & Production, doing such a wide spectrum of creative jobs that my already high number of skills are now very many. I’ve done scenic painting, professional vinyl installation, custom paint jobs, sculptures of giant vegetables 🥕🍅🍆, painted a giant high heel, worked on tv sets and news sets, ran crews installing trade show booths, and been the 3D printer operator.
Currently, I'm still working in production in Santa Cruz, doing laser engraving for a personalized gift company. I love lasers!
Mecca Design & Production, Dallas, Texas - Production Assistant/Contractor (June 2011 - May 2017)
- Purchasing all frequently used items as well as special orders for our shop.
- Pricing and doing estimates for jobs.
- Scenic Painting.
- Vinyl cutting and installation.
- Running crews off site.
- 3D Print operator.
Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas - Bachelor of Fine Arts (August 2006 - December 2010)
My degree is in Studio Art with a double emphasis: I studied Drawing & Painting as well as Jewelry Design & Metalsmithing.
Undergrad // Lubbock, Texas
- (NOT) Achromatic with Jade Elkins- February 2009, Limelight Gallery
- The 23rd Juried Exhibition at the Texas Tech School of Art (Group Show)- April 2009, Landmark Arts Gallery
- Catching the Vision (Group Show) - March 2009, The Foundation Gallery
- Graduating Seniors Group Exhibition, November 2010, Landmark Arts Gallery, Texas Tech University
- The Infinite Conception - Mary Mecca solo show, December 2010, Art Depot on the First Friday Art Trail
Post-grad // Dallas, Texas (Resident Artist at Nerv Gallery for 3 years)
- Humano Art Exhibition (Group show) - May 2012, Nerv Gallery
- Constructing Perspective (Group show) - September 2012, Nerv Gallery
- Constellated Breaths (With artists Sean Miller, Rusty Bouvier, & Amy Mahler) - April 2013, Nerv Gallery
- Solo show & Art sale - April 2014, Nerv Gallery
- 12/13/14:24/24 (24 artists locked in the gallery for 24 hours to create FRESH, BRAND NEW ART) - December 2014 Nerv Gallery
TECH-NAW-RAW-GEE (more skills?)
Beginner (I can YouTube how to do things and figure it out):
- Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Indesign, Adobe Premiere, Blender, Cura
- Adobe Illustrator (7+ years of experience)
- LulzBot Taz 6 3D Printer (I completed many projects using two of these 3D Printers)
- Google Drive - Basically like knowing Word, Excel, etc.
- Squarespace - I've been building websites with them since they first got started!
- Amazon - I’m really good at buying things on Amazon.